The garage is an important part of any house. It’s not just your car that lives there. Plenty of things find their home in the garage.
One day when you are looking for something important and you cannot find it, but you stumble upon many things that you don’t recognize. That is when you realize your garage needs a renovation.
Why you need a Garage Renovation
People have different reasons to organize their garage. Removing the clutter and making the space look more organized is one of the most common reasons for renovating the garage.
The other reasons may include redoing the floor if it’s damaged or is old enough for a replacement. Some people may use the space for other purposes like making the garage a multifunctional space. For that, you can add storage compartments in there.
Garage renovation tips
Now before we start how to renovate a garage tutorial, here are some helpful tips for your benefit:
- You can simply make your garage more organized by installing custom steel cabinetry system with lockers. Or you can convert the garage into an extra room with extra space for the car.
- If you are trying DIY make sure that you are comfortable handling the entire process which may include some heavy lifting and using tools like drills and screws.
- You can always seek the help of the professional in case you are unable to finish the project. The thing is the professional renovators will do the job much more efficiently. But it doesn’t mean you cannot.
How to Renovate A Garage – 4 Easy to Follow Steps
Here are the 4 easy steps to renovating your garage:
Move the Junk
Chances are there that you may have a lot of junk in the garage. You don’t realize this when the when the stocks are piling up. Remove everything from the garage and then sort them out one by one. This will help you get a clean and junk free space to start working on. Decluttering is the first step to garage renovating.
- Throw the things you don’t need or it cannot be used – broken bicycle, land mower, damaged and moldy boxes and other stuff.
- Have a garage sale for things that are in good condition, but you don’t need them. You might not need that chair, but someone else might.
- Keep things that you can use for your new garage space.
Prepare your Garage for the redecoration
The next step of how to renovate the garage is to prepare for the makeover. You need to clean up the space if it’s needed. Make sure the floor area is clean:
- Remove everything that is not cemented to the ground and is not out of sight
- Remove any kind of fixtures on the floor and walls – sinks, carpets, cabinets, wall hangings, nails, hangers and other things
- Make sure that your garage door is working properly before you get started with the renovation.
Do the Floors First
The first thing you need to do is coat the floor. The floor is the most functional part of the garage and before you add any functionality you need to get the floors right.
- Choose the kind of coating you want. If you really need to redo the entire floor make sure you know what you are doing. Alternatively, ask professional floor installers to do the job.
- You can use the garage floor kits available in the market that comes with detailed instructions to help you coat the floor of the garage with perfection.
- Make sure that any uneven surface on the floor is taken care of and any damage done to the floor is repaired.
Add Storage Space
One of the best things you can do when renovating your garage space adds some storage cabinets in there. With cabinets and storage shelves, you can individually store your things like garden tools, and golf sticks in different compartments. This will make finding them easier when you need them.
- Adding storage system make your space more efficient and organized
- Add hooks and wall shelves for storing things
- If you will be using the space for other things like doing another DIY project then make sure you divide the space and clearly mark the areas that things don’t get mixed up.
Extra – Converting your Garage Space
If you are converting a garage into something else like a room then you should be aware of the pros and cons. These include
- You will have extra space and an additional personal room away from the rest of the house.
- You will lose the protected parking space for your car
- The cost of renovating a garage into a room could be more than basement renovation. You will require to build a wall and install various other things to make it inhabitable
This is a 4 step tutorial on how to renovate a garage space. With these 4 simple steps, you can easily make your garage look more efficient, improve its functionality and redesign the space to your liking.