Bunk beds are the great idea for kid’s room and for people who have small living space. If you have more than one kid in the house and lack of space is making everything look squashy, then you can easily build your own bunk beds for the kids.
Modern homes are now sporting various styles of kid’s bunk beds with stairs that look amazing rather than cheap or forced. They are a great space saving idea.
This article will take you through the process of how to build a bunk bed with stairs.
Choose the Size of the bed
The first thing you will need to do is measure the length of the bed(s) you want in the room. The size of the beds should be in proportion to the room so that you still have plenty of space for free movement. The idea here is to create a bed system that saves more space.
You will need to measure the height, width, and depth of the bed to build the right kind of bunk bed.
This is the reference measurement that you can take to building a bunk bed. You can adjust the measurement according to your needs. Also, take the measure of stairs you need on the bed.
- Height: 62.0 inches
- Width: 42.0 inches
- Depth: 81.0 inches
Choose the design
When you are building a bunk bed for the kids you need to make it more interesting because kids will love it. You can choose any kind of design you want. You can look up the internet for reference design or build a simple one. You can always choose paint colors, bed sheets, and other accessories to make it more interesting.
You need to decide whether you want to build a twin or three-tier bunk bed. Usually, the twin bunk beds are more practical and safe for the kids.
Materials you will need
You will need a few essential things for building a bunk bed with a stair. The wood beds are the most popular choice. You can also choose the beds made of metals.
Wood bed bunks are easier to make as a DIY project. Here are some of the things you will need for building the bed:
- High-quality pieces of wood for making the bed: bed frames, stairs etc.
- Wood screws, pocket hole screws, brad nails
- Wood glue
- Saw or table saw
- Pocket hole jig
It is important to follow the safety instructions. If you are building a bunk bed that you ordered then follow the instructions to the letter. If you are doing a DIY project make sure that you are comfortable using the tools and know how to work them.
- Wear safety goggles
- Have someone to help you
- Wear safety gloves if needed
How to build a bunk bed with a stair – All the steps
Here is the step by step process on how to build a bunk bed with stairs for the kids:
- Build the bed frame first. This will help you determine the length of the ladder rung. Join the frame prices with wood glue and pocket-hole screws. The pocket holes installed inside of the short rails of each bed frame so it’s not visible.
- Build the legs of bunk bed next. These are usually L shaped. Once again use the wood glue and pocket-hole screws to join the legs to the frame. Make sure the pocket holes are places in such a way that they get covered when the ladder rungs are built.
- Cut and build the ladder rungs as you measured them initially. Install them on the legs of the bedside that you chose to put the pocket-screws on. Use the glue and screws to secure the ladder rungs on the legs of the bed. Make sure the legs are perpendicular to the bed legs.
- Assemble the whole thing. Make sure you have someone to help you with the assembling of the parts. Start with one piece at a time. Install the lower bed first and fix anything that is needed. Once you are sure everything is in place, start with the top bed.
Make sure that everything is perfect in the place. Since you are building the bunk bed for the kids, it is important to ensure that all the materials are of high quality and have sturdy built. Before using the bed you need to ensure that it’s completely built and can withstand the weight of the person who is going to use it.
Building a bunk for the kid’s room is one of the best ways to save space and provide privacy and comfort to the kids even in a small house. This how to build a bunk bed with stairs and also gives you general idea how you can DIY it and make your kids happy with the built and design.